Pakistani 'admits to' brutal attack on teen [UPDATE]

A 21-year-old Pakistani national who has allegedly admitted to a brutal assault on a 15-year-old girl on Paros last month faced a prosecutor on the Aegean island on Sunday.

The Pakistani admitted to attacking the girl after a second test of his DNA matched a sample taken from the victim, a police spokesman said. The 21-year-old allegedly told police that he had seen the girl sitting on rocks on the Chrysi Akti beach and had tried to steal her cellphone. When she resisted he beat her head against the rocks until she passed out, Skai understands.

According to state television channel Net, the 21-year-old was greeted by an angry crowd when he arrived at the main port of Paros, under the escort of police who had interrogated him in Athens. Suspicions had been raised after the 21-year-old, who worked at a hotel on the beach where the girl was found unconscious, left the island on the day of the attack. He was picked up by police in the capital a few days later.

The girl is still in critical condition after suffering serious head injuries in the assault. Initial reports had indicated that the 15-year-old had been sexually assaulted but police did not confirm this.

The lawyer representing the girl's family, Dimitris Kousiouris, issued a statement on Sunday thanking all the citizens who helped police with the investigation into the teenager's assault and the media for its overwhelmingly discreet coverage of the incident.