Two Moldovan nationals were remanded in custody in Athens on Monday after appearing before a prosecutor for the abduction last week of businessman Manolis Karamolegos.
The two men, aged 37 and 27, were charged with kidnapping, robbery, causing bodily harm and illegal weapons possession.
The 37-year-old, who turned himself in to authorities last week, told the court that he planned the abduction on his own. He said he gave up on his attempt to extract a ransom from the family when he thought that his two accomplices had been arrested.
The other kidnapper, aged 27, said he had been hired by the 37-year-old as a driver and did not know that he would be attempting to abduct anyone.
Police are still looking for a third suspect.