SOCIETY

St. Catherine’s British School

St. Catherine’s British School endeavours to foster a love of learning through a well-taught and appropriately challenging curriculum. Our aim is to fully develop pupils’ intellectual, social, physical and creative potential, in anticipation that they will develop into sensitive, informed, decisive and capable global citizens.

Character building and interpersonal skills are developed through a range of relevant educational experiences and activities. Our students participate in the extensive range of extracurricular activities. Arts, sciences and sports flourish at the school with regular sports matches with other schools in Greece and abroad. A multitude of drama, dance and music opportunities are also on offer. As a leading exponent of global citizenship, St. Catherine’s pupils are encouraged to develop problem-solving and resolution skills, negotiation strategies and an understanding of multicultural, multi-faith, and multiracial concepts within the context of cultural pluralism and good global, European and national citizenship.

The school curriculum is closely based on the National Curriculum of England and Wales between the ages of 5-16 years. For the final two years, students study for the IB Diploma during which a range of subjects are available in the six Diploma subject groups. This year in fact marks the tenth anniversary of the first students graduating from the IB Diploma Programme at St. Catherine’s. During that time the average Diploma total has been 35 points and 98% of candidates have secured the Diploma at their first attempt

St. Catherine’s provides extensive college counselling and careers advice by specialists with experience in US and UK admissions. A number of events take place every year, including university visits, guest speakers and a careers and universities fair. The majority of St. Catherine’s students graduate to UK and North American universities. Over the last four years alone our graduates have entered 83 universities and colleges in the UK, USA, Canada and beyond, including the universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Warwick, Imperial College London and King’s College London in the UK as well as Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Brown, McGill, Tufts and Yale in the United States and Canada, to name but a few.

The school is situated in Lycovrissi near Kifissia and has excellent teaching, sporting and recreational facilities including its own sports grounds and swimming pool. The school avails itself fully of the benefits offered by information and communication technologies to advance the quality of learning, including white-board technology in all classrooms, Wi-Fi around the school and the pioneering Haiku Virtual Learning Environment.

The school is an Executive Member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS) and is IBO World School 1370. It submits itself for Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) inspection every three years. St. Catherine’s was highly praised in the most recent ISI report (November 2013) in which the quality of students’ achievements is described as excellent and the quality of their personal development is also described as excellent throughout the school.

Due to its academic excellence, St. Catherine’s is the first-choice school for local and expatriate families who want their children to gain a British education within an international context.