Man dies on Crete after handling infected mouse

A 20-year-old man died on Crete on Saturday after coming into contact with an infected mouse.

Doctors at Hania Hospital, where he was taken on Friday, said that the man had contracted leptospirosis, which is transmitted by rats and other wild animals and can cause internal bleeding.

The man, who was not named, was taken to the hospital on Friday after he complained of stomach pains. He was treated in an intensive care unit but died soon afterwards.

The man, who was a goalkeeper at a local amateur club, reportedly touched the mouse with his bare hands.