NEWS

Ministry probes suicide at home for the elderly

The Health Ministry sent inspectors to the Athens Home for the Elderly on Thursday after a 72-year-old resident shot himself in the head with a rifle after leaving a suicide note.

The man was found dead on Thursday morning by staff at the home and police were awaiting a coroner’s report to determine the time of his death as other residents and staff claimed not to have heard gunshots.

The 72-year-old had been at the home for about a month after the managing board decided to grant him a two-month stay. Previously he had been homeless for an unspecified period of time.

In his note, the man said he was sorry, that he did not blame anyone for his circumstances, and asked that his daughter not be informed about his suicide, sources said.

It remained unclear how he came into possession of a rifle.

The probe is not the first that has been launched into the Athens Home for the Elderly. Previous investigations have pointed to shortfalls in its administration. The most recent inspection was on June 7. A statement released by the regional authority highlighted “unsafe conditions” at the home “that do not safeguard health standards, safety and dignified living conditions,” along with “inadequate services at all levels.”

Online