An eight-year-old girl was being treated in Patra's man hospital on Monday after suffering electrocution when she touched a makeshift electricity supply cable.
According to police in the western port, the cable had been made by a 49-year-old woman who had wanted to link her home to two municipal electricity pylons to get free power.
The girl, who had been at the spot when the woman was making the cable, touched it under circumstances that remained unclear and was electrocuted.
The girl's life was said not to be in danger.
The woman was charged with grievous bodily harm and theft.