A 54-year-old Serbian woman was charged with manslaughter through neglect on Monday after her 13-year-old daughter died after inhaling noxious fumes from a makeshift stove the woman had been using to heat her Thessaloniki home, which does not have electricity. She was also ordered to leave the country within 30 days after police determined that she was in Greece illegally.
The police were called to the house in the Xirokrini district late on Sunday and found the girl dead. Her mother is thought to have fainted before regaining consciousness long enough to call for help. According to sources, the woman is unemployed and was using a brazier to heat her home after the power was cut off as she owed 1,000 euros in unpaid bills.