The 37-year-old man who handed himself in last week after kidnapping businessman Manolis Karamolegos in Athens told a court on Monday that he planned the abduction on his own.
According to reports, the Moldovan said that he had seen Karamolegos, the owner of a large bakery firm, outside his place of work and realized that he was rich.
He said he gave up his attempt to extract a ransom from the businessmanís family when he though his two accomplices had been arrested.
The 37-year-old said that Karamolegos talked him into handing himself in to the police and that the entrepreneur had behaved like a ďgentlemanĒ during his ordeal.
The suspect also said that a third man believe to have taken part in the kidnapping was also from Moldova. He remains at large.
The other kidnapper, aged 27, said he had been hired by the 37-year-old as a drive and did not know that he would be attempt to abduct anyone.