An ancient cemetery in Kifissia in use from the eighth century BC to the fourth century AD was razed by bulldozers excavating on private property on Thursday, a day after experts from the Archaeological Service had begun preparing the transfer of sarcophagi, according to the local mayor, Vassilis Varsos. «Many of the findings had been moved to the Piraeus Archaeological Museum or into storage in Menidi,» Varsos told Kathimerini. «Still to be moved were the sarcophagi, which needed special handling... Two representatives (of the 2nd Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities), archaeologist Dimitris Schilardi and restorer Ilias Nobilakis, came to arrange this the day before yesterday. While all this was going on, indicating the importance of the antiquities, the bulldozers moved in,» said Varsos, quoting allegations by members of the Friends of the Kifissia Archaeological Museum. The municipality had suggested compensating the owner either with other property or an extra floor in order to preserve the antiquities in the basement of the proposed building.