NEWS

In Brief

Skeleton found

Bones found in abandoned car probably those of Finnish resident A female skeleton discovered in a locked, abandoned car in a village in Thesprotia is believed to be that of a 47-year-old Finnish woman who had been living in her vehicle in the area for the past eight years, police said yesterday. Authorities sent the bones to a coroner in Ioannina in a bid to determine the cause of the woman’s death. Police, who were alerted to the gruesome discovery by local residents, said the possibility of murder was unlikely but had not been ruled out. Chemical waste Illegal dump with open barrels of toxins discovered near Elefsina An illegal dump containing hundreds of open barrels of chemicals, construction site rubble, burnt tires and animal corpses was discovered in an olive grove in Elefsina yesterday by members of Skai’s television crew. According to police, no authority has undertaken to clean up the site. A few days ago, a truck driver was arrested after allegedly trying to dump a load of illegal chemicals on the site, officers told Skai. The man is to face trial, police said, without revealing what charges he faces. Inmate investigation Another convict found dead in cell Justice Minister Sotiris Hatzigakis has ordered an investigation into the death of an inmate at Korydallos Prison in western Athens over the weekend. The 48-year-old inmate, who was serving a life sentence for drug offenses, was found dead in his cell after suffering from lung problems. Last month another Korydallos inmate – a 27-year-old Afghan facing trial for manslaughter – was found hanged in his cell. Trash risk More than 180 tons of trash have piled up on the streets of Neo Iraklion, a suburb in northern Athens, as municipal street cleaners entered the 18th day of their strike yesterday. Workers are expressing solidarity with fellow colleagues who allegedly have not been paid for six months. Municipal officials have blamed bureaucratic problems for the delay. Student rally Students yesterday staged a rally in central Athens, protesting the «wretched» conditions of student accommodation in the capital. Of some 120,000 university students residing in Athens only about 2,200 live in student housing. Suspect arrested A 35-year-old man has been been arrested in Serres, northern Greece, after being found in possession of small quantities of heroin and cannabis, police said yesterday. The suspect is believed to be working on behalf of a dealer, an Albanian national, who is currently serving time in a Greek prison for drug trafficking, police added. Jewelry theft Police said yesterday that robbers broke into a jewelry store in Arta, central Greece, over the weekend and took 250,000 euros’ worth of items. The robbery was the latest in a series of jewelry store thefts to take place in the area in the last few days. Police have launched an investigation into the incidents. Counterfeit ring Police have arrested five people in Serres, northern Greece, in connection to a counterfeit ring, authorities said yesterday. Three men and two women were arrested after allegedly passing off more than 2,000 euros in fake notes. Police also found in their possession another 49 200-euro notes. Authorities said they are investigating possible links between the suspects and international counterfeit operations. Rogue quarry A legal councilor yesterday appealed to the Council of State, the country’s highest administrative court, to stop the operation of a quarry alleged to be operating on forestland in Koropi, eastern Attica. According to the councilor, the quarry has continued to operate due to successive extensions within the «protected zone» around Mount Hymettus.