ECONOMY

Main bourse index clears 900 points

The fifth day of gains in the last six sessions ended with the benchmark of the Greek stock exchange clearing the 900-point level on Thursday.

The Athens Exchange (ATHEX) general index closed at 900.12 points, rising 1.75 percent from Wednesday’s 884.60 points. The large-cap FTSE/ATHEX 25 index rose 2.19 percent to end at 306.74 points.

Folli-Follie led the blue chips (up 4.93 percent), just ahead of Coca-Cola HBC (4.80 percent).

PPC continued its recent price rise with growth of 1.16 percent on Thursday. It also announced it is expanding to Bulgaria through the creation of its 85 percent-owned subsidiary PPC Bulgaria, in cooperation with Alpiq Central Europe, which holds the remaining 15 percent. The subsidiary will allow PPC to promote cross-border trade of electricity, it stated.

In total 87 stocks went up, 41 posted losses and 21 stayed put.

Turnover reached 36.1 million euros, against Wednesday’s 37.7 million.