Athens and Piraeus control world’s biggest fleet in terms of value


Shipping companies based in the neighboring Greek cities of Athens and Piraeus control 4,538 ships valued at a total of $86.7 billion.

This is making Athens-Piraeus the No 1 shipping center in the world based on the value of controlled fleet, according to data that Clarksons, the world’s leading provider of shipping services, announced this week.

The companies that have their headquarters in Athens and Piraeus control 84 percent of the Greek-owned fleet, which is estimated to exceed $100 billion, with the remaining 16 percent based in other major shipping centers, such as London.