Drop in social expenditure in 2016 and 2017

Drop in social expenditure in 2016 and 2017

Social protection spending in Greece fell in 2016 and 2017, according to the latest Hellenic Statistical Authority (ELSTAT) data, despite the social profile the previous government tried to project, mainly through the handouts made at the end of every year.

The “social dividend” distributed was not enough to offset the reduction of spending for the benefit of other – much more populous – categories, such as retirees on low pensions who missed out on their Social Solidarity Benefit (EKAS). The benefit criteria were illness, disability, old age, bereavement, family/children, unemployment, housing and social exclusion.

The net result was negative as social protection expenditure fell by 0.1 percent in 2016 from 2015 and dropped a further 1.5 percent in 2017. In total social protection spending shrank by 1.6 percent or 736 million euros over those two years.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.