Three arrested over boy’s electrocution in Zakynthos

Three arrested over boy’s electrocution in Zakynthos

Greek police have arrested three people in connection with the electrocution of a 9-year-old boy on the Ionian island of Zakynthos on Saturday, reports said on Monday.

The boy suffered an electric shock and died after reportedly coming into contact with the exposed wiring of the central air-conditioning unit at a hotel near his home in the village of Tsilivi on the northeastern coast of the island, where he was playing hide and seek with his friends.

Officers from the Zakynthos Police Department arrested the owner of the hotel, the responsible electrician and the air conditioner’s technician.

A forensic examination in Patra on Monday confirmed that electrocution was the cause of death.

“He went to play… our boy left for five minutes,” the victim’s father told Mega TV on Monday, adding that the boy played there often.

He also said that the air-conditioning unit’s wiring “was exposed… and the boy tried to hide there and it touched his body.”

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.