One in 10 not paying toll charges, survey shows

More than one in 10 motorists are not paying toll station charges, according to a survey carried out jointly by the polling firms Invision and Metron Analysis on behalf of the consortia managing and constructing the country?s national road network.

According to the survey, carried out on a sample of 1,500 respondents, 12.9 percent of motorists refuse to pay charges at toll stations with the remaining 87.1 percent claiming to pay their fees every time. The overwhelming majority of respondents (95.8 percent) said they believed road works launched in recent years would make the country?s road network safer.

According to the survey, just over half of drivers (53.2 percent) said they are using their cars less this year. Of these respondents, 59.2 percent said they were driving less due to the increase in gasoline prices, 36.6 percent blamed the impact of the debt crisis on their household budgets and just 2.1 percent pointed to the increase in toll station charges.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.