Homeless man burned badly after shelter fire

A homeless man was rushed to an Athens hospital with serious burns after his makeshift shelter caught fire on Saturday.

The man, who is said to be an immigrant, was sleeping under a bridge in the central Athens district of Neos Cosmos. Police said he was using a petrol lamp, which is believed to have fallen onto a pile of clothes and caused the blaze.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.