Kozani double robbery suspects refuse to testify
The four suspects arrested following two armed bank robberies in the region of Kozani in northern Greece last week, refused to testify in front of an investigative magistrate on Wednesday. They were expected to be transferred to Korydallos Prison later in the day.
In a statement posted on an anti-establishment website earlier on Wednesday, three of the four young men stated they would not collaborate with authorities or apologize for their actions.
“As anarchists we consider the option of robbing a bank a conscious choice of resistance,” said Nikos Romanos, Andreas Bourtzoukos and Yiannis Michailidis in the statement, adding that the attack on the capitalist establishment was part of their overall revolutionary activities.
With regard to their alleged abuse while in police custody following their arrest, the three suspects said they did not expect a different kind of treatment in the hands of the “enemies of freedom.”
All four suspects have been linked to the urban guerilla group Conspiracy of the Cells of Fire, while police believe the young men could be the perpetrators behind a bomb blast at The Mall shopping and entertainment center in northern Athens in January.