Hospital administrator turns in conman trying to make 10-mln-euro score
The deputy director of Thessaloniki’s Ippocrateio Hospital has filed a lawsuit in the northern port city against an unnamed 68-year-old man who tried to hoodwink the hospital into investing 10 million euros in a bogus construction project.
According to reports on Tuesday a warrant for the arrest of the 68-year-old has been issued after the hospital administrator filed the lawsuit, in which he claims he was approached earlier this summer with a fraudulent business proposition.
Posing as an entrepreneur, the suspect is said to have met with Ippocrateio Hospital’s deputy director in late July and presented a proposal for an investment in a construction firm based in Italy that would yield 50 million euros in two weeks on an initial investment of 10 million euros of the hospital’s funds. He is said to have presented the administrator with official-looking documentation outlining the offer and the yields it would produce.
The hospital administrator, however, became suspicious of the proposal and asked police to conduct an investigation into the 68-year-old.
Once investigators ascertained that the company the suspect purported to represent did not exist and his identity was established, a search of his home revealed a stack of documents similar to the one shown to the Ippocrateio hospital’s deputy director, which is believed to have been sent to numerous institutions and businesses around the country from as far back as February 2011.
The 68-year-old suspect has managed to elude arrest.