Greece has done its part, Tsipras tells Merkel

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has told German Chancellor Angela Merkel that Greece has made enough compromises for a deal, a top government source has told Kathimerini.

The two leaders met in Brussels on Thursday on the sidelines of a European Union emergency summit called after Sunday’s immigrant disaster.

An agreement is needed to unlock international bailout funds before Athens runs out of cash.

The Greek premier was also expected to meet with French President Francois Hollande. He was expected to ask for the implementation of “what was agreed in Berlin,” particularly with respect to the pledge that the Greek government would cover 70 percent of the distance toward a deal and the country’s partners would cover the remaining 30 percent.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.