Greeks pick standard education

Some 80 percent of Greek 22-year-olds have finished senior high school, which is slightly above the average for European Union countries, according to figures made public yesterday. At the same time, very few young Greeks choose to attend vocational training schools, heading instead for standard secondary schools that open the way toward an university education – which is considered a must by most families. A total of 80.5 percent of 22-year-old Greeks finish senior high school, while the EU average is 75.5 percent. The highest rate was in Finland (89.8 pct) and the lowest in Portugal (44.7 pct). By law, all Greeks are obliged to attend classes until the end of junior high school. According to recent research, some 67.9 percent of Greek 18-year-old senior high school leavers graduate from a standard secondary school, with the remaining 32.1 percent finishing a vocational training school. But in the EU, on average, 54.4 percent of senior high school leavers graduate from vocational training schools, and 45.6 percent from standard schools.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.