NEWS

Top brass say probe of 5 deaths not ready

The joint chiefs of staff on Saturday criticized press speculation about the «findings» of an internal investigation into the electrocution of five conscripts in Evros last April, stressing that the probe had not yet been completed. This appeared aimed at deflecting public anger at reports that the conscripts themselves were blamed. «The investigation is still under way, and the reports refer to inaccurate information supplied by individuals who are in no way connected to the investigation whose findings will be made public when they are ready,» the chiefs said in a statement. On Friday, press reports said that a military probe had concluded that the soldiers had not taken necessary safety precautions and absolved their superiors. The five men, aged 20 to 28, were killed instantly after the metal flagpole they had been raising at a military outpost near the Turkish border became caught in an overhead electricity line.