In Brief


Man hit by marble slab from building Army officer Giorgos Liambas, 35, was in a critical condition in the Athens KAT hospital after being hit on the head by a slab of marble which fell from the neoclassical facade of a National Bank of Greece branch on 73, Ermou Street, as he was walking by yesterday afternoon. Doctors who operated on Liambas said he was out of danger but would remain in intensive care for a few days. Anarchist riots Self-styled anarchists set fire to vehicles and clashed with police in central Athens early yesterday following a rock concert in a public park. Riot police detained 15 suspects after the predawn riot, which started when a group of youths leaving the Pedion tou Areos park on central Alexandras Avenue attacked cars and buses parked in the area. One KTEL long-distance bus was destroyed, as well as a car. Police used tear gas to disperse the group of youths. Paragliding casualties A 40-year-old Spanish man was killed and a Briton and a Pole were injured on Saturday while competing in a European paragliding contest in the Peloponnese. A rescue helicopter was dispatched to recover the body of Spaniard Carlos Iscuerdo, who crashed in the mountains of Arcadia. A British competitor who crashed in the same area was hospitalized with minor injuries, and a Pole with a broken leg was rescued near Kalavryta. Some blamed the accidents on stormy weather in the area, others on pilot error. AEK rally More than 2,000 supporters of the first-division Athens AEK soccer club caused traffic chaos in the city center yesterday evening as they staged a protest rally demanding that the government solve the club’s dire financial problems. Demonstrators, who met in Klafthmonos Square at 5 p.m., blocked off Stadiou Street before marching to Parliament. There were no reports of any violent incidents. Crippled by debts of over 100 million euros to other teams and the state, AEK has been on the verge of financial collapse for over a year. Well corpse Police in Iraklion, Crete, yesterday discovered at the bottom of a well the body of a 63-year-old lawyer who had gone hunting with a friend of his in the Rouva forest on Saturday morning. Yiannis Papazoglou and his friend, a dentist who was not identified, had gone their separate ways to hunt, according to the friend who contacted police after searching for Papazoglou in vain. The cause of Papazoglou’s death was unclear. Land dispute A 58-year-old Lamia man was arrested yesterday for allegedly stabbing to death his 32-year-old nephew following an argument about land ownership. Police said that after the attack on Manolis Englezos Thanassis Danos fled in a jeep with his wife, taking a rifle and the murder weapon.