NEWS

Finish line now in sight for Kenteris crash probe

Disgraced sprinter Costas Kenteris is to face a prosecutor tomorrow on charges he faked a motorcycle accident to dodge a drugs test on the eve of the Athens Olympics last year, court sources said yesterday. The athlete’s testimony marks the beginning of final phase of the probe into the events during the night of August 12. Kenteris’s former training partner and fellow Sydney Olympic medalist, Katerina Thanou, will also be questioned this week on the same charges. The sprinters, once revered by the Greek public and media but who suffered a rapid fall from grace after the incident, were charged in November with faking the accident. Prosecutors also brought charges against their controversial coach, Christos Tzekos, five people who claimed to have seen the motorcycle crash, and seven doctors at the Athens KAT hospital who maintained that the athletes required treatment for their alleged injuries. Tzekos was also charged with importing and dealing in illegal performance-enhancing substances. Kenteris has parted company with Tsekos since. In March, the Greek amateur athletics federation (SEGAS) cleared Kenteris and Thanou of dodging three drug tests in the runup to the Athens Games, blaming Tsekos for the runners’ no-shows and handing him a four-year ban. Last month, the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) said it would appeal the decision.