Alphaville cinema…

A firefighter sprays water while another tries to open the door at the back of the Alphaville open-air cinema in Exarchia, central Athens, which caught fire yesterday. Firefighters said it was likely that a cigarette started the blaze, which quickly spread due to tall dry grass and discarded flammable materials. There were no reports of injuries. More than 20 firemen using 10 fire trucks were involved in the operation.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.