NEWS

Man on life support after mushroom meal

A Cretan man was on a life support machine in the hospital yesterday while six others needed emergency medical treatment after eating poisonous mushrooms. The seven residents of the village of Mochos near Iraklion were admitted to the hospital on Saturday after eating the mushrooms, which had been picked by the 60-year-old man who is now in a critical condition. Doctors said that the man, who was not named, had suffered liver and kidney failure and had been placed in the intensive-care unit. The lives of the six other locals were not considered to be in danger and they are due to be discharged from the hospital. Authorities did not say exactly what type of mushroom the villagers had eaten. Two years ago, a 4-year-old Greek boy had to be flown to Italy for a liver transplant after eating a poisonous mushroom.