NEWS

A landmark’s history

The Athens Municipal Market, or Varvakeio Market, first opened in 1886. Most of the funds for the building that was constructed for the market were donated by Ioannis Varvakis, one of the 19th-century Greek capitalists that were also active outside the borders of the then tiny Greek state. The building was renovated in 2004 for the upcoming Olympic Games in Athens.