NEWS

UK toddler stable after sipping toxic cocktail

A 2-year-old British girl was in serious but stable condition in a Cyprus hospital yesterday after being served detergent mixed with orange juice at a luxury hotel, police said yesterday. Annabel Rhodes suffered burns to her mouth and esophagus after drinking the corrosive liquid on Saturday night. Staff at Nicosia’s Makarios Hospital said the girl showed a slight improvement and doctors were able to take her off a respirator. The toddler, who was on holiday with her parents at the southern coastal resort of Limassol, sipped the drink that had been ordered by her father from the hotel barman. Police said it was unclear how the detergent got into the drink but it appeared the barman may have confused a refilled water bottle containing the colorless, odorless cleaning fluid.