NEWS

Businessman turns up safe

A Thessaloniki businessman, missing since last Friday, turned up at a local police station yesterday morning safe and sound, police said yesterday without providing any details about the 59-year-old’s suspected abduction. Giorgos Aivazoglou, who is active in the fuel and automotive sectors in Greece and Bulgaria, had been reported missing by relatives who received recorded messages on their cell phones with a ransom demand of 400,000 euros. Police yesterday did not even confirm that the disappearance was being treated as an abduction. But sources said the 59-year-old had been released without his abductors receiving any ransom. Aivazoglou says he was kidnapped at gunpoint on Friday night, abducted in his own car and then transferred to another vehicle before being taken to an empty house. His kidnappers are then said to have left him near Thessaloniki from where he hitchhiked to the police station.