In Brief

Turkish interference

Radar station sends signal to Greek jets on Aegean exercise Three Greek fighter jets participating in an exercise in the Aegean early yesterday afternoon received a series of warning signals via Turkish radar, Greek defense officials said, adding that the pilots of the Greek F16s ignored the signals and completed the exercise. The signals were sent while the aircraft was flying near the islet of Farmakonisi. The location was roughly the same as that of a helicopter participating in a patrol by Frontex, the European Union border monitoring agency, earlier this month that also received warning signals via Turkish radar. FLU INFECTIONS Teacher, 30 pupils have H1N1 A teacher and 30 pupils at a secondary school in Haidari, western Athens, have been diagnosed with swine flu, authorities said yesterday, a day after four classes at two secondary schools, including the one in Haidari, were suspended. Of the pupils diagnosed with the H1N1 virus, one is being treated in the hospital while the others are taking medication at home. Double stabbing Police in the southern Athens district of Kallithea yesterday were questioning a 37-year-old man alleged to have knifed an Albanian woman and a Greek man, aged around 50, outside a cafe on Thiseos Street, a busy shopping area, at around 4.30 p.m. According to witnesses, the suspect stabbed the man in the chest and the woman in the arm following an argument. The injuries were not believed to be life-threatening. Grammatiko boycott Residents of Grammatiko, northeastern Attica, where authorities have planned to build a landfill, yesterday said that they would be boycotting forthcoming elections to punish the two main parties, New Democracy and PASOK, for allowing the construction of the facility in their area. The decision by the community of Grammatiko, which numbers around 1,500 resident, was condemned by local PASOK candidate Vassilis Oikonomou as «a mistake.» Kidnappers remanded Two foreigners and a Greek national charged in connection with the kidnapping and murder of a 50-year-old Cretan businessman in May were remanded in custody yesterday after several hours of testimony before an investigating magistrate on the island. According to sources, the 27-year-old Syrian suspect has denied any involvement in either the abduction or the killing of Yiannis Kypriotakis. The other Syrian suspect, aged 25, and the Greek reportedly admit to involvement in the kidnapping but not the murder. Girls found Police in Lamia yesterday found three teenage girls who had been missing from their homes in the central city since Monday. The three girls, aged 13, 14 and 15, had camped out in an old warehouse, according to police, who said the girls claimed to have argued with their parents. Fan club attacked An Olympiakos supporters’ club in Hania, Crete, was slightly damaged during a pre-dawn arson attack yesterday. Police said that intruders forced open the door and threw two flares and an incendiary device into the premises. Nobody was injured in the attack.