In Brief


Minister wants to know why Evia blaze was not contained Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis yesterday asked fire service chief Athanassios Kontocostas to investigate the service’s inability to contain a large fire that broke out on Evia on Tuesday and burned for more than a day, destroying a forest in the island’s northwest and forcing the evacuation of dozens of French tourists from a resort. According to sources, the minister wants charges to be brought against all those found responsible. RAINY DAY Showers lead to flooding Heavy thunderstorms and rainfall yesterday in Attica and across the Peloponnese caused widespread flooding and problems on the roads. Severe conditions provoked brief power cuts in parts of Attica. In the Peloponnese, crops were damaged and a large hospital in Tripoli was forced to suspend several surgeries and to close its maternity clinic after rainwater started leaking into the building from the roof. The fire service received dozens of telephone calls to pump water out of flooded ground-floor and basement apartments and stores in many parts of the country. Delphi closure Part of the archaeological site at Delphi was closed yesterday for safety reasons after heavy rain in the area. The Culture Ministry said that a team of experts is examining the problem caused by the rainfall, which led to the upper part of the site, including the ancient theater and stadium, being cordoned off. Authorities chose to allow visitors free entrance to the rest of the site as a way of compensation. It was not clear how long the upper section at Delphi would remain closed, so visitors are advised to call ahead on 22650.82312. Doctors convicted A court in the Cretan court of Iraklio yesterday convicted two medics in connection with the death of a 9-year-old boy who underwent an operation to have his tonsils removed at their private clinic. The surgeon was given three years in jail and the anaesthetist had his license to practice revoked for a year. Neither have the right to appeal their sentences. Ax attack A 44-year-old man was being treated in a hospital in central Greece yesterday after being struck on the head with an ax by a relative. Police said that the incident occurred in the village of Argyroupoli, near Larissa, when the victim got into an argument with his unidentified relative over a family disagreement. According to officers, the assailant struck the 44-year-old several times over the head and left him in an unconscious state. Neighbors heard the argument and called an ambulance and police after finding the man, who was not named, lying on the ground. The extent of his injuries was not made clear. Occupied schools A Thessaloniki prosecutor yesterday sent a letter to 28 schools currently under occupation by pupils complaining about inadequate infrastructure, asking directors to intervene and stress to protesters that they could face criminal charges if they continue the action. The prosecutor reportedly added that the pupils’ parents could also face charges if they fail to convince their children to stop the protest.