NEWS

Acropolis row set to continue

Culture Ministry contract workers scaled down their protests at the Acropolis over the weekend but have warned that they may make their presence felt again from today. After closing the gates to the ancient citadel on Wednesday and Thursday and blocking the ticket office on Friday, the group of employees, who are protesting the non-renewal of their contracts and the fact that some have not been paid for about 20 months, picketed outside the Acropolis yesterday and on Saturday but did not obstruct visitors. However, the head of their union, Nikos Hasomeris, said they might «step up» their protest from today. «Our decision not to create any problems over the weekend shows that we respect and love this site,» he said, blaming the presence of riot police for the tension that was created last week.