NEWS

Cyprus probing tourists’ eviction

NICOSIA (AFP) – Cypriot authorities launched an investigation yesterday into why a group of Jordanians on a package tour to Cyprus were allegedly deported on suspicion of being illegal foreign workers, police told AFP. «Police are investigating the reports and we hope to have the details as soon as possible,» a spokesman said. Cypriot Tourism Minister Nicos Rolandis told AFP he has given instructions to the investigation team to personally brief him. The incident occurred last month but is only now being probed after several local newspapers broke the story. Sixteen Jordanian tourists were allegedly locked in a holding cell at Larnaca airport for two days before being sent back to Amman. According to a complaint received by the Cyprus Tourism Organization (CTO), the men were on vacation and arrived on September 13 with return tickets, hotel vouchers and cash in their pockets, meeting the basic criteria for entry. The incident comes at a time when Cyprus is trying to boost tourism from Middle East countries and recently invited a group of Jordanian travel agents to sample the delights of the island.