Workers at landfill demand better security
Workers at Attica?s only operating rubbish dump in Fyli, northwestern Athens, say they will not return to work until authorities guarantee them better security.
The employees have been off work since Saturday after Gypsies attacked a number of their colleagues following the accidental death of a young Roma man who had been sifting through rubbish.
The workers say that it has become common practice for Gypsies and immigrants to illegally enter the dump and try to find any items of value to take with them.
This led to four migrants being accidentally killed last year and the young Roma man being crushed by a bulldozer on Saturday.
?We want people who can threaten the lives of workers not to be allowed to enter the dump,? said Nikos Chiotakis, the president of Association of Communities and Municipalities in the Attica Region (ESDKNA).
Chiotakis said that a three-meter high fence is being constructed around the landfill to protect the 500 employees but that policing of the area would be needed as well.
He said that if the police guarantee the security of the workers, the dump would open immediately.