NEWS

Afghan bomb victim to have surgery

A 10-year-old Afghan girl who was blinded in a pipe bomb explosion that killed her 15-year-old brother in the Athens neighborhood of Patissia just over a year ago is to be taken abroad for an operation funded by the government and the Greek Orthodox Church.

Speaking to Kathimerini, the girl?s 51-year-old father, Mohammed Natzafi, said he was praying for her swift recovery ?so she can go to school and become part of Greek society.?

The 10-year-old already has had two operations but has recovered only 20 percent of the sight in one eye. She also suffered serious impairment to her hearing. The youngster is now attending a school for disabled pupils and has started Greek language classes.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the explosion which occurred on March 28 last year when the 15-year-old Afghan boy opened an abandoned rucksack in which the device had been hidden. Conspiracy of the Cells of Fire denied any role in the attack after police said the device resembled a bomb used in a previous attack claimed by the urban guerrilla group.