Coast guard fleet to be strengthened with six new boats

The Greek coast guard is to get six new patrol boats in a deal mostly funded by the European Union.

Merchant Marine Minister Miltiadis Varvitsiotis signed an agreement on Wednesday which will see Greece pick up the six vessels for a total cost of 13.3 million euros.

The EU External Borders Fund will provide 75 percent of the money, with the other 25 percent coming from Greek taxpayers.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.