NEWS

Fire in hospital ICU injures 2

A fire broke out in an intensive-care unit at a hospital in Larissa, central Greece, yesterday injuring a patient and the department’s manager, authorities said. The fire was caused by a spark from an oxygen tank that had been placed next to a patient being treated for brain hemorrhaging over the last few days. The staff struggled to extinguish the blaze from the oxygen tank, which sent flames in all directions due to the high pressure, a source said. The head of the intensive-care unit also suffered burns on his hand in an attempt to extinguish the blaze quickly. It was not clear whether there were other patients present at the time the fire took place. Authorities have ordered an investigation into the incident which occurred in the intensive-care unit of what is considered one of the country’s better-run hospitals.