Christmas lights give family a festive shock

A family of four had to be rescued from their third-floor apartment in the western Athens suburb of Peristeri early yesterday after a fire, probably caused by faulty Christmas lights, swept through the property. The fire service was called to the building at 3 a.m. after the couple and their two children, aged 8 and 4 years old, became trapped on their balcony in an attempt to escape the blaze. Firefighters used a ladder truck to help the family to safety. All four members were taken to the hospital for precautionary checks, but were not found to be suffering from any burns or problems caused by smoke inhalation. It took 30 firefighters and 10 fire engines another four hours to completely put out the blaze. The fire service said that it is looking into the possibility that the fire was caused by Christmas lights in the apartment.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.