NEWS

Police hit wall in terror probe

Police sources admitted yesterday that they have very little evidence related to the murder of journalist Sokratis Giolias on which to base an investigation. The 37-year-old was shot on Monday morning as he came out of his apartment building in Ilioupoli. Police say tests have shown that the bullets were fired from guns used in previous attacks by the Sect of Revolutionaries terrorist group. Police were hoping to obtain some more clues from the scene of the shooting and from speaking to neighbors but sources said that nothing significant was discovered. They have also failed to obtain any useful CCTV footage. Officers have yet to question Giolias’s wife as she is in still a state of shock and was attending the journalist’s funeral yesterday. It is believed that she may have seen one of the two gunmen who were lying in wait for her husband. One of the two, apparently dressed as a security guard, rang the couple’s buzzer and told Giolias that someone was trying to steal his car in order to convince him to come downstairs. Police believe that the journalist’s wife may have seen the face of one of the killers via the video entry system. A coroner confirmed yesterday that Giolias had been shot 16 times, mostly in the back, which suggests that he tried to escape his attackers. Giolias was also shot in the head three times but these bullets came from a different gun, suggesting the presence of two shooters. It is thought that a third man waited in a getaway car which was later found burned. Police sources admitted yesterday that no great progress has been made in identifying members of the Sect of Revolutionaries since they carried out several armed attacks and shot dead a witness protection officer last year.