NEWS

Greeks are warned to avoid Bali

The Foreign Ministry yesterday advised Greek nationals to keep away from Bali after Saturday’s terrorist attack that killed over 180 people and injured more than 300 on the Indonesian island that is a popular holiday destination for many Greeks. Ministry officials said 60 Greek tourists were on Bali at the time of the car bomb explosion, of whom 58 were unharmed. One man, Ioannis Kalligas, from Crete, was in a club in the Kuta beach nightclub and bar district when the powerful bomb went off, and was slightly injured by flying debris. He was undergoing treatment at a local hospital. Government spokesman Christos Protopappas yesterday strongly denounced the attack, in which, according to the latest count yesterday, 183 people died. They were mostly tourists. Protopappas said one Greek man who holds a Swedish passport was missing on Bali after the blast. «It is possible that a Greek-Australian man is among the missing,» he added. Athens travel agents said yesterday there had been no cancellations by Greek tourists planning to visit Bali.