The Greek Foreign Ministry has issued a statement condemning Turkish media reports about alleged training of terrorists in Greece.
“We categorically reject and deny these claims, which have of late – in a groundless, arbitrary and suspicious manner – been reappearing in certain Turkish newspapers,” the ministry said.
“Neither terrorist camps nor terrorist training centers have existed or exist in Greece. Greece has been a victim of terrorism and is on the front line of the international fight against terrorism.”
Greek authorities also pointed out that the issue was not mentioned when Prime Minister Antonis Samaras met his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Qatar last week.
“If this had been the case, the Greek Prime Minister would have given the appropriate response,” the ministry said.
Reports in Turkey have suggested that the militant who blew himself up at the United States embassy in Ankara on Friday had crossed into the country from Greece.
The bomber, identified as 40-year-old leftist militant Ecevit Sanli, killed himself and a Turkish security in the attack.