NEWS

Greek Foreign Ministry expresses ‘abhorrence’ at Nice attacks

TAGS: Diplomacy

The Greek Foreign Ministry on Friday issued a statement of condolence and support for France after a gunman plowed a truck through a crowd of revelers celebrating Bastille Day in the southern town of Nice, killing at least 84 people and injuring dozens.

“We express our unequivocal condemnation and abhorrence of the new, deadly terrorist attack in France,” the Greek Foreign Ministry said in its announcement, referring to the deadly Paris attack in November that left 130 dead. “Our thoughts are with the French people and the families of all the innocent victims, to whom we express our sincere condolences.

“On the anniversary of the French Revolution, the cradle of the ideas of liberty, equality and fraternity found itself once again the target of obscurantism and barbarity,” the ministry wrote.

“The act of barbaric terrorism is doomed to fail. We express our certainty that, in spite of extremists, France – the beacon of the ideas of the Enlightenment, democracy and freedom – will continue to unceasingly shed its light on Europe and the world.”

Reuters said on Friday that the attacker has been identified by a police source as a 31-year-old Tunisian-born Frenchman. He also opened fire before police shot him dead. He had been known to the police for common crimes but not to the intelligence services, Reuters reported.

Online