More tax cross-checks

Taxpayers will have to record their electricity supply number, found on both their bills and their meters, when they fill in their income tax statements this year, as the Finance Ministry is trying to locate the properties that have not been declared and so that the special property tax can be paid directly to the General Secretariat for Information Systems.

This forms part of the government?s strategy to merge the special property tax paid via electricity bills and the property tax paid separately from 2013, which would disengage electricity companies from the process.

Owners who have registered their illegal properties with the authorities will have to pay an extra tax when declaring them in a special spot in the new tax statement.