NEWS

Deadline for registering home alterations extended

The deadline for the scheme that allows homeowners to pay a one-off fee to protect illegally altered parts of their properties, known as imiypaithrioi, for the next 40 years has been extended until the end of October, the Environment Ministry said on Thursday.

Property owners had been asked to submit their applications by the end of this month but because of the high demand, the government has decided to extend the deadline a second time.

So far, just over 618,000 applications have been submitted and more than 300 million euros has been raised for the public coffers. Environment Minister Giorgos Papaconstantinou said that he would employ a similar scheme for homes built without permits.