Olympia museum robbery suspects to face prosecutor on Wednesday
Three men believed to be behind the robbery in February of the Museum of Ancient Olympia, in which dozens of ancient artifacts were stolen, are to face an investigating magistrate on Wednesday after receiving a second extension to prepare their defense Tuesday.
One of the lawyers representing the suspects – all Greek men, aged 36, 41 and 50 – said his clients were not professional robbers but had been driven to robbery by desperation.
“Instead of hanging themselves from a tree or jumping from the sixth floor of an apartment block, they did this thing,” the lawyer said.
Police are continuing their search for another two suspects believed to have been involved in the heist, during which the museum guard was bound and gagged but not harmed.