Officers of the fire service on Crete were dispatched Tuesday morning to the premises of a business in Myloi in the region of Souda following reports that a large quantity of propane, a liquid gas that is highly flammable when mixed with oxygen, had leaked from a tank there.
A total of 15 firefighters with four engines were dispatched to the scene, which local police sealed off for security reasons. Authorities evacuated the premises and used a special liquid to freeze the crack in the tank.
Eventually the leak was plugged and the tank transferred to a safe place far from residential areas. There were no reports of any injuries.