Austria investigates two men who passed through Greece for links to Paris attackers
Austria is investigating two suspects held since December for possible links to the bombers and gunmen who carried out last year's deadly attacks in Paris, a state prosecutor said Thursday.
A statement issued by prosecutor Robert Holzleitner identified the two only as a 28-year old Algerian and a Pakistani, 32, in line with Austrian privacy rules.
The pair, claiming to be refugees, arrived in Greece Oct. 3 in the same boat as two of the identified attackers, who then left the country unhindered, said the statement. But the two now in custody were held there for 25 days because they were carrying fake Syrian passports.
Holzleitner said the two were detained in Salzburg Dec. 10. A 25-year old Moroccan and an Algerian aged 40 who were in "close contact" with them were taken into custody eight days later.
All four are suspected of links to the Islamic State group, the statement said.
Holzleitner said the statement had been issued to "correct" some recent news reports but added no other details could be divulged during the ongoing investigation.
The Nov. 13 attacks killed 130 and wounded 350 others.