A young couple suffered fatal electric shocks after coming into contact with a cut power line that had fallen into a stream at an idyllic spot in central Crete, rescuers said yesterday. The high-tension cable, which authorities believe may have been shot out of position by gun-obsessed locals, claimed a third life yesterday – killing the specially trained fire-brigade sniffer dog that led rescuers to the two bodies. Vassilis Damvoglou, 32, and his friend Magda Kaskanioti, 28, both from the Rethymnon area, were declared missing on Saturday after failing to return from a ride in Damvoglou’s car. Late on Monday, rescuers found the car at the entrance to a small ravine near Margarites, some 30 kilometers (18.5 miles) east of Rethymnon. Yesterday morning, the sniffer dog located the bodies, only to meet a similar fate. Rescuers said Kaskanioti was felled first by the cable, while Damvoglou died trying to help her. Crete has Greece’s highest rate of gun ownership.