SPORTS

Aris wants FIFA to stop Charisteas move

Thessaloniki soccer club Aris will appeal to the International Football Federation (FIFA) to block the transfer of forward Angelos Charisteas to Werder Bremen, a spokesman from the Greek club said yesterday. «We have not agreed to this transfer. We have lodged a protest with the Greek Football Association (EPO) and will take this matter to FIFA,» Aris director Michalis Banieras told Reuters. The 21-year-old Greece international was unveiled at the German club on Monday, holding the Number 10 shirt in a $3 million deal that will see him join the club this summer. However, Aris denied giving the player permission to speak to the German side after they had agreed to higher offers from two other clubs. «He was due for talk with Lens and Parma on Monday and did not have permission to fly to Germany,» said Banieras. «We are waiting for him to return so he can explain himself,» he said. Charisteas shot to prominence last year with a series of goal-scoring performances at international level. The striker scored twice on his Greece debut against Russia and went on to score goals against both England and Germany in World Cup qualifiers.(Reuters)