Boy from deadly Thessaloniki fire released from hospital

A 10-year-old boy who was rescued on Tuesday from a house fire that killed his grandparents and his 18-month-old sister in the Thessaloniki suburb of Kordelio was released from the Papageorgiou Hospital on Thursday and given a clean bill of health.

The boy was rescued by plumber Theodoros Kaltsidis, who was working on a construction site near the four-story family apartment building when the fire broke out.

It is believed the blaze was caused by the boy’s grandfather pouring gasoline over himself and setting it alight.

A 24-year-old man, believed to be the grandfather’s adopted son, remained in critical condition on Thursday, with doctors saying he has suffered burns over 75 percent of his body.