Greeks warned not to eat wild mushrooms

More than 40 people have been poisoned by wild mushrooms in Greece over the last month, one of whom has died, health authorities said on Wednesday.

The General Secretariat for Public Health warned Greeks not to consume wild mushrooms. It said 42 people have fallen ill since the beginning of September, including a toddler who remains in intensive care. A 44-year-old woman died after eating wild mushrooms, officials said. The others received hospital treatment.

There are some 2,000 types of mushroom in Greece but the muscaria and phalloides are the most common.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.